The earthquake on 14 November affected our Porirua campus library building and it remains closed as a precautionary measure. We are awaiting the completion of a detailed structural assessment from structural engineers.
Along with any building work that is required on the back of the structural engineers report, we are also taking the opportunity to review and enhance our library environment with the aim of providing students with innovative and contemporary learning spaces, and additional electronic resources. The first stage of this will involve the installation of new and highly versatile shelving, which arrives in early-February.
The date of the reopening of the library building will be dependent on the structural engineers report. In the meantime, library and support services are being provided as follows:
- Porirua Public Library. One library staff and one learning advisor will be available between 10am-3pm daily (except Saturday and Sunday). Students can use the spaces during all the hours the library is open but staff support is only available between 10am – 3pm
- The Student Hub is open with the student help desk and a librarian present at all times. This will continue until the library building is up and running again. Library services will operate from the Student Hub on Monday to Thursday 8am-8pm and Friday 8am-5pm. There will be no library services available at the Student Hub on Saturday mornings at this stage.
Student support staff are available in Ako Ake which is open from 7.30am-11pm, Monday-Friday and 8am – 8pm weekends. This arrangement will remain in place until the library building reopens.
- Student support staff will also be based in the Learning Street, Wikitoria Katene building, 10am- 3pm daily.
- A designated quiet room is available in the atrium, next to the Health Centre. This is now open for use from 8am – 5pm.
- D037 (the classroom opposite Ako Ake) is now open for student from 8am – 5pm. This is a good room for group work.
- The small meeting room in Expresso Café is open for students to use, You can book this in the student hub. Please note that there are no lights on there at the moment but we are working with Campus Services on this.
Access to drop in computer
- E101 is available for after-hours swipe access:
5pm – 11pm Monday to Friday
E101 and E102 are open for student study on weekdays 6am-5pm except when booked for a class. The room must be vacated when a class is on unless you have the permission of the tutor to remain.
- Students are welcome to approach Te Wananga Maori to use their classroom at times it is free
Students have direct access to any of the WelTec libraries for resources and support. We do encourage students to use the WelTec library closest to them. Libraries are situated at the following locations:
21 Kensington Avenue
Wellington CBD campus
11-17 Church Street
School of Hospitality
52 Cuba Street
All Whitireia books and journals are in-accessible; e-resources are available. If print material is required, staff will order this from one of our SMART libraries (including WelTec) or via inter library loan.